最近A.earthquake of magnitude 6.4 on the Richter scale hit Assam.Following the main tremors, six aftershocks (of magnitude ranging from 3.2 to 4.7) also occurred within two-and-a-half hours. The NCS recently mentioned that these tremors were attributed to the Kopili Fault Zone.
Kopili Fault Zone:
- The Kopili fault zoneis a 300-km northwest-southeast trending fault. It is extending from the western part of Manipur to the tri-junction of Bhutan, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
- Seismically Active:This zone is a seismically active area, so it falls into the highest Seismic Hazard Zone V.
- The zone is associated with collisional tectonicsbecause of the Indian Plate subducting beneath the Eurasian Plate.
- 特征: Kopili fault zone and its neighbouring areas are characterised by alluvial soils. These alluvial soil have a higher potential of trapping seismic waves. Thus making the region the印度东北大部分地震易发区.
- 早些时候地震：kopili断层zone has witnessed many seismic activities in the past. This includes the 1869 earthquake (7.8 magnitude) and the 1943 earthquake (7.3 magnitude).
About Himalayan Frontal Thrust (HFT):
- Secondly, the government has to build an effective Earthquake mitigation plan.
- 第三，AN.integrated disaster management planshould be developed for the North East. This plan will help in tackling these types of high-intensity earthquakes.